Thursday, January 14, 2010

Flying high with The World of Chocolate

It's been so much fun this week. The Candy and Gourmet Show on Sunday, baking and visiting Sand Castle Winery for a pairing recommendation. Also,

I've been testing ways to use red cocoa that Laurie gave me (Laurie's Chocolates) and began with vegan chocolate cupcakes. The recipe was from Desserts that Heal from Heather MacLean Walters, were light and moist. A total surprise~in a good way. I didn't have time to do frosting and felt they needed something...I confess I took a shortcut and I stuffed a truffle into their center so they had a heart. Does this mean I failed?
The pumpkin bread was great just the way it was-well I did change the whole recipe by incorporating tapioca flour, reduced the sugar and used almond milk. Then to dazzle the experience, I used the red cocoa to dust the bottom of the pan and it was a light and flavorful. Doubling the batch to keep the ratio's worked perfectly this time around and I think I'm in love with tapioca flour. It's so much smoother than rice flour and seems to be a equal substitute for pastry or regular flour. Have you tried it yet? I'd love to hear if you found the same results with your recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Food for thought